[edk2-devel] [edk2-platforms] [RFC] Migrate devel-MinPlatform branch to master branch

Kubacki, Michael A michael.a.kubacki at intel.com
Thu May 2 21:15:53 UTC 2019

Hi Leif,

The intention is for advanced features to be generic and architecture
agnostic when possible. We ultimately want to simplify the process to
enable open source edk2 platforms and cross-architecture compatibility
certainly aids in that goal. We're starting with the code in the Intel directory
and we are open to moving features elsewhere based on interest and
usefulness.

I suspect we'll also evolve some elements of how these features are
organized and designed based on feedback over time. For example, while
we're starting with one AdvancedFeaturePkg, it may be too monolithic.
More cohesive packages are likely easier to integrate and maintain. So
we may propose breaking this into something like DebugFeaturePkg,
IoFeaturePkg, PowerManagementFeaturePkg, or to some other degree. I
expect the definition to be a fluid process based on actual demand.

> And Platform/Intel/MinPlatformPkg/Library/CompressLib/CompressLib.c
> appears to have nearly only whitespace differences compared to edk2
> ShellPkg/Library/UefiShellDebug1CommandsLib/Compress.c.
>
> (With edk2 already having 3 additional quite similar files in
> BaseTools/Source/C/Common/EfiCompress.c
> BaseTools/Source/C/Common/TianoCompress.c
> BaseTools/Source/C/TianoCompress/TianoCompress.c)

That's a good point. In particular, it would be nice to consolidate the code usage
between ShellPkg and MinPlatformPkg. Perhaps the compression code could
be moved somewhere like MdePkg where it could be used by both packages.

> Secondly - edk2 has recently transitioned to bsd+patents license, and it
> would make sense if edk2-platforms did the same. Do we want to do that
> before or after this addition?

I will defer this to Mike Kinney.

> Finally, what should we do for Maintainers.txt?

I believe we need to have per-package maintainers for the packages being added. For
example, merge what is in
https://github.com/lgao4/edk2-platforms/blob/master/Platform/Intel/Maintainers.txt

I can update the following Maintainers.txt with a proposal.
https://github.com/lgao4/edk2-platforms/blob/master/Maintainers.txt

Regards,
Michael

View/Reply Online (#39927): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/39927