[edk2-devel] Adding DebugPkg to the main edk2 repo

rebecca at bluestop.org rebecca at bluestop.org
Tue May 7 15:28:27 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-07 05:49, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> I'd expect it to interoperate with any gdb server implementation.
>
> Whenever I use DebugPkg, to connect to a running QEMU instance, I launch the following gdb scriptlet (with "gdb -x") from a file:
>
> set height 0
> set architecture i386:x86-64:intel
> target remote localhost:1234
> source .../DebugPkg/Scripts/gdb_uefi.py
> reload-uefi -o .../Build/Ovmf3264/NOOPT_GCC48/X64/DebugPkg/GdbSyms/GdbSyms/DEBUG/GdbSyms.dll

Yup, I've documented the steps to use it at
https://code.bluestop.org/w/tianocore/debugging-with-gdb/ .

To work with modern versions of gdb which use Python 3, you can just run
2to3 (https://docs.python.org/3.7/library/2to3.html) on gdb_uefi.py
which I checked last night works.

I tried using it with a Bhyve build of OVMF
(https://github.com/freebsd/uefi-edk2/tree/bhyve/edk2-stable201903) but
it didn't work and I didn't have time to look into why. It might just be
because Bhyve's gdb server is fairly basic at the moment.

--
Rebecca Cran

View/Reply Online (#40122): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/40122
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io