[edk2-devel] Adding DebugPkg to the main edk2 repo

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Tue May 7 11:49:33 UTC 2019

On 05/07/19 10:59, Ryszard Knop wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> GdbSyms can be built separately from the debugged image. It produces a
> DLL file to load while starting GDB so that it properly detects the
> target once connected. The associated gdb_uefi.py script loads it with
> symbol-file to get some info required to find the system table, etc
> (see search_est function).

Yes, that function performs the 4MB-aligned search that Mike mentioned.

> I'm using this script (with QEMU only, not sure about other platforms,
> but could work I guess?) and have a Python 3 port if someone needs it.
>
> Thanks, Richard
>
> On 2019-05-07 8:13, Michael D Kinney wrote:
>> Hi Rebecca,
>>
>> This content does not look OVMF specific.
>>
>> Does it depend on QEMU?  Or would this
>> Potentially work on any target that supports
>> gdb?

I'd expect it to interoperate with any gdb server implementation.

Whenever I use DebugPkg, to connect to a running QEMU instance, I launch the following gdb scriptlet (with "gdb -x") from a file:

set height 0
set architecture i386:x86-64:intel
target remote localhost:1234
source .../DebugPkg/Scripts/gdb_uefi.py
reload-uefi -o .../Build/Ovmf3264/NOOPT_GCC48/X64/DebugPkg/GdbSyms/GdbSyms/DEBUG/GdbSyms.dll

View/Reply Online (#40106): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/40106
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io