[edk2-devel] tool chain tag setting for vs2017

Leif Lindholm leif.lindholm at linaro.org
Wed May 8 14:54:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 03:44:45PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
> On 2019.05.08 13:16, xulin wrote:
> > Got it. BTW, do you have plan to support for higher version GCC? Such as
> > GCC8?
>
> Well, I am not speaking for the project as a whole, but past experience
> seems to indicate that support for newer toolchain is added by contributors
> (which, really, can be anyone) on an ad hoc basis, when the need is
> identified and/or a new toolchain becomes popular, as well as *if* the
> definitions from the current toolchain (such as GCC5) do not work well
> enough to support the later versions.
>
> So I don't think there are official plans with regards to adding such an
> such toolchain (such as GCC8 or VS2019) apart from waiting for contributors,
> who might have a vested interest in those, to provide patches where needed.
> For most Open Source projects, this usually happen organically, without any
> specific timeline, as each toolchain becomes more widespread.

Correct.

Basically, GCC 4.x was an absolute mess in changing command line
options and behaviours (cetainly on the ARM* side, but I think also
for x86). Since GCC 5.0, this has stabilised a lot, so we
haven't needed to produce any version-specific profiles since that one.

GCC9 looks "interesting" in throwing up new buildtime warnings (from
looking at other projects), so it might be that it will need a new
profile, but it may also be that all those are genuine bugs and need
to be fixed.

Certainly, any issues people come across, please report.

Regards,

Leif

View/Reply Online (#40209): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/40209
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io