[edk2-devel] tool chain tag setting for vs2017

"徐林 francisco_flynn at foxmail.com
Wed May 8 15:48:35 UTC 2019

>On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 03:44:45PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:

>> On 2019.05.08 13:16, xulin wrote:

>> > Got it. BTW, do you have plan to support for higher version GCC? Such as

>> > GCC8?

>> Well, I am not speaking for the project as a whole, but past experience

>> seems to indicate that support for newer toolchain is added by contributors

>> (which, really, can be anyone) on an ad hoc basis, when the need is

>> identified and/or a new toolchain becomes popular, as well as *if* the

>> definitions from the current toolchain (such as GCC5) do not work well

>> enough to support the later versions.

Certainly.

GCC5 is working good on Ubuntu 16.04, but i have another PC with Ubuntu 18.10

installed, and i can't just install gcc-5 with apt-get install, i guess gcc-5

package is removed from apt source, i believe i can find a way to install

gcc-5 on Ubuntu 18.10 with some effort... but i would not try to, because

VS2017 works good now :)

>> So I don't think there are official plans with regards to adding such an

>> such toolchain (such as GCC8 or VS2019) apart from waiting for contributors,

>> who might have a vested interest in those, to provide patches where needed.

>> For most Open Source projects, this usually happen organically, without any

>> specific timeline, as each toolchain becomes more widespread.

>Correct.

>Basically, GCC 4.x was an absolute mess in changing command line

>options and behaviours (cetainly on the ARM* side, but I think also

>for x86). Since GCC 5.0, this has stabilised a lot, so we

>haven't needed to produce any version-specific profiles since that one.

>GCC9 looks "interesting" in throwing up new buildtime warnings (from

>looking at other projects), so it might be that it will need a new

>profile, but it may also be that all those are genuine bugs and need

>to be fixed.

Oh..I didn't notice that GCC9 is available now, maybe i should check the

release News.

Thank you :)

Regards,

Flynn