[edk2-devel] RFC: Fast Migration for SEV and SEV-ES - blueprint and proof of concept

Kalra, Ashish Ashish.Kalra at amd.com
Mon Nov 9 20:34:11 UTC 2020

[AMD Public Use]

Hello Tobin,

-----Original Message-----
From: Tobin Feldman-Fitzthum <tobin at linux.ibm.com>
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 2:28 PM
To: Kalra, Ashish <Ashish.Kalra at amd.com>
Cc: Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert at redhat.com>; Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com>; devel at edk2.groups.io; dovmurik at linux.vnet.ibm.com; Dov.Murik1 at il.ibm.com; Singh, Brijesh <brijesh.singh at amd.com>; tobin at ibm.com; Kaplan, David <David.Kaplan at amd.com>; Grimm, Jon <Jon.Grimm at amd.com>; Lendacky, Thomas <Thomas.Lendacky at amd.com>; jejb at linux.ibm.com; frankeh at us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] RFC: Fast Migration for SEV and SEV-ES - blueprint and proof of concept

On 2020-11-06 17:17, Ashish Kalra wrote:
> Hello Tobin,
>
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 04:48:12PM -0500, Tobin Feldman-Fitzthum wrote:

>> > With my migration maintainer hat on, I'd like to understand a bit
>> > more about these different approaches;  they could be quite
>> > invasive, so I'd like to make sure we're not doing one and throwing
>> > it away - it would be great if you could explain your non-ES
>> > approach; you don't need to have POC code to explain it.
>> >
>> Our non-ES approach is a subset of our ES approach. For ES, the
>> Migration Handler in the guest needs to help out with memory and CPU
>> state. For plain SEV, the HV can set the CPU state, but we still need
>> a way to transfer the memory. The current POC only deals with the CPU
>> state.
>>
>> We're still working out some of the details in QEMU, but the basic
>> idea of transferring memory is that each time the HV needs to send a
>> page to the target, it will ask the Migration Handler in the guest
>> for a version of the page that is encrypted with a transport key.
>> Since the MH is inside the guest, it can read from any address in
>> guest memory. The Migration Handlers on the source and the target
>> will share a key. Once the source encrypts the requested page with
>> the transport key, it can safely hand it off to the HV. Once the page
>> reaches the target, the target HV will pass the page into the
>> Migration Handler, which will decrypt using the transport key and
>> move the page to the appropriate address.
>>
>> A few things to note:
>>
>> - The Migration Handler on the source needs to be running in the
>>   guest alongside the VM. On the target, the MH needs to startup
>>   before we can receive any pages. In both cases we are thinking
>>   that an additional vCPU can be started for the MH to run on.
>>   This could be spawned dynamically or live for the duration of
>>   the guest.
>>
>> - We need to make sure that the Migration Handler on the target
>>   does not overwrite itself when it receives pages from the
>>   source. Since we run the same firmware on the source and
>>   target, and since the MH is runtime code, the memory
>>   footprint of the MH should match on the source and the
>>   target. We will need to make sure there are no weird
>>   relocations.
>>
>> - There are some complexities arising from the fact that not
>>   every page in an SEV VM is encrypted. We are looking into
>>   the best way to handle encrypted vs. shared pages.
>>

> Raising this question here as part of this discussion ... are you
> thinking of adding the page encryption bitmap (as we do for the slow
> migration patches) here to figure out if the guest pages are encrypted
> or not ?
>

> We are using the bitmap for the first iteration of our end-to-end POC.
Ok.

> The page encryption status will need notifications from the guest
> kernel and OVMF.
>
> Additionally, is the page encrpytion bitmap support going to be added
> as a hypercall interface to the guest, which also means that the guest
> kernel needs to be modified ?

> Although the bitmap is handy, we would like to avoid the patches you are alluding to. We are currently looking into how we can eliminate the bitmap.

Please note, the page encryption bitmap is also required for SEV guest page migration and SEV guest debug support, therefore it might be
useful for having these patches available.

If you want us to push Brijesh's and my patches for the page encryption bitmap separately for the kernel then let us know.

Thanks,
Ashish

View/Reply Online (#67193): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/67193
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io