Re: 回复: [edk2-devel] A proposal to reduce incompatible case

Michael D Kinney michael.d.kinney at intel.com
Mon Nov 30 20:53:25 UTC 2020

Hi Zhiguang,

I do not think generating these lists of lib mapping only from evaluation of the edk2 and edk2-platforms DSC usage is correct.

The only way to know for sure that there is a default mapping is if the design and implementation of the library class intended only a single mapping.
This would have to be documented in the lib class and the lib instance.

An example where this will have the incorrect behavior is a platform specific library class where a only a template of that lib class is provided
as a *Null instance.  The expectation is that a platform that needs this feature would be required to provide their own instance of that
library class in their platform DSC.  There may be features that are not used by the platforms in edk2-platforms.  In that case your
tool would identify the *Null instance as the only one.  All platforms would build, but would not have the expected behavior.  It
would be better for platforms to break at build time with a missing library mapping in this case.

There are a few categories of libraries

  1.  *Null library instances that are a template for a platform specific lib.  Also used for package verification builds.
  2.  Library class where different library instances are expected to be used in a single platform.
  3.  Library class with a single lib instance and all platforms are expected to use that one library instance.

I like the idea that packages providing a DSC INC file with default mappings/settings, but we need to make sure it is always correct
and should only be applied to category (3).  This may require manual analysis in each package or extra information added to
lib class/lib instance.

Thanks,

Mike