[edk2-devel] VirtIO Sound Driver (GSoC 2021)

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Fri Apr 16 17:03:51 UTC 2021

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 4:34 AM, Leif Lindholm <leif at nuviainc.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ethin,
>
> I think we also want to have a SetMode function, even if we don't get
> around to implement proper support for it as part of GSoC (although I
> expect at least for virtio, that should be pretty straightforward).

Leif,

I’m think if we have an API to load the buffer and a 2nd API to play the buffer an optional 3rd API could configure the streams.

> It's quite likely that speech for UI would be stored as 8kHz (or
> 20kHz) in some systems, whereas the example for playing a tune in GRUB
> would more likely be a 44.1 kHz mp3/wav/ogg/flac.
>
> For the GSoC project, I think it would be quite reasonable to
> pre-generate pure PCM streams for testing rather than decoding
> anything on the fly.
>
> Porting/writing decoders is really a separate task from enabling the
> output. I would much rather see USB *and* HDA support able to play pcm
> streams before worrying about decoding.

I agree it might turn out it is easier to have the text to speech code just encode a PCM directly.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

View/Reply Online (#74212): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/74212
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io