[edk2-devel] Progress on getting Uncrustify working for EDK2?

Michael Kubacki mikuback at linux.microsoft.com
Mon Aug 16 20:00:38 UTC 2021

The edk2 branch was created here:
https://github.com/makubacki/edk2/tree/uncrustify_poc_2

We have a Project Mu fork with custom changes to the Uncrustify tool to
help comply with EDK II formatting here:
https://dev.azure.com/projectmu/_git/Uncrustify

The latest information about the status and how to experiment with the
configuration file and the tool are in that fork:
https://dev.azure.com/projectmu/Uncrustify/_wiki/wikis/Uncrustify.wiki/1/Project-Mu-(EDK-II)-Fork-Readme

That said, I have also finished a CI plugin to run Uncrustify that
should be ready soon to initially deploy in Project Mu. Before doing so,
I am trying to settle on an initial configuration file that less
strictly but more reliably formats the code than in the examples in
those branches. For example, remove heuristics that when run against the
same set of code multiple times can produce different results. An
example would be a rule that reformats code because it exceeds a
specified column width on one run but on the next run that reformatted
code triggers a different rule to further align the code and so on. At
least initially, some rules might be tweaked in a more conservative
approach that can be tightened in the future. Once this configuration
file is ready, we will baseline Project Mu code as an example and turn
on the plugin. The CI plugin runs Uncrustify against modified files and
if there's any changes, indicating a formatting deviation, the diff
chunks are saved in a log so they can be viewed as a build artifact.

I am making progress on the updated config file and I should be able to
post a "uncrustify_poc_3" branch soon with the results.

Regarding indentation, Marvin is right that Uncrustify cannot support
edk2 indentation style out-of-box. Some changes are made in that fork to
handle the formatting. At this point, it can handle the indentation in
the cases I've seen. Uncrustify does potentially give us the ability to
massively deploy changes across the codebase in case a decision were
made to change the style.

Thanks,
Michael

View/Reply Online (#79386): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/79386