[edk2-devel] [RFC] Expose HII package list via C variables

Marvin Häuser mhaeuser at posteo.de
Thu Aug 26 18:32:33 UTC 2021

On 26/08/2021 20:19, Ni, Ray wrote:
>> 3. Saves error-prone parsing work
> This might be the key reason? Is it theoretically possible to write a secure parsing code?

Hey Ray,

Yes it is, but the most secure parsing code is that which doesn't exist.
I'm confident in the one I wrote for the new PE/COFF library, but if
variables suit the need, I really would like to use them, even if it is
only by a toggle. The new proposal (please check the chain with Mike)
was adapted to preserve the old behaviour fully for any platform that
wants it, permanently. Amaranth will very likely drop support for the
PE/COFF section, either nicely with an upstream PCD, or not-so-nicely
with maintaining patches to remove the functionality downstream.

In the same chain I outlined I'm sketching a new terse file format and
I'd prefer to avoid any unnecessary data or parsing burden. The current
library I am sketching privately is *much* smaller than both the current
and the new PE/COFF library. The overall format in an UEFI context (no
dynamic linking etc.) is at least as powerful as PE/COFF and pretty much
always smaller than TE. I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Best regards,
Marvin

View/Reply Online (#79861): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/79861
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io