[edk2-devel] OpenProtocol() giving me EFI_INVALID_PARAMETER

Ethin Probst harlydavidsen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 17:01:24 UTC 2021

I mean, possible... The code I'm using to initialize the handle buffer is this:

```C
EFI_STATUS EFIAPI UefiMain(IN EFI_HANDLE imageHandle, IN EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE* st) {
  Print(L"Attempting to find USB IO protocol\n");
  UINTN numHandles = 0;
  UINTN i = 0;
  UINT32 UsbStatus = 0;
  EFI_HANDLE* handles = NULL;
  EFI_USB_IO_PROTOCOL* UsbIo = NULL;
  EFI_STATUS status = st->BootServices->LocateHandleBuffer(ByProtocol,
&gEfiUsbIoProtocolGuid, NULL, &numHandles, &handles);
  if (EFI_ERROR(status)) {
    Print(L"Cannot find any handles for USB devices, reason: %r\n", status);
    return EFI_ABORTED;
  }
  Print(L"Found %d USB devices; enumerating\n", numHandles);
  for (; i < numHandles; ++i) {
    Print(L"Trying to open handle %d (%x)... ", i, handles[i]);
    status = st->BootServices->OpenProtocol(handles[i],
&gEfiUsbIoProtocolGuid, (void**)&UsbIo, imageHandle, NULL,
EFI_OPEN_PROTOCOL_EXCLUSIVE);
    if (EFI_ERROR(status)) {
      Print(L"%r, skipping\n", status);
      continue;
    }
    // ...
```
I've done my best to follow SEI secure C coding standards, like
initializing all variables, regardless of type -- e.g. initializing
pointers to 0/NULL. But I will definitely try that idea.

--
Signed,
Ethin D. Probst

View/Reply Online (#77852): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/77852