[edk2-devel] VirtIO sound device in qemu?

Leif Lindholm leif at nuviainc.com
Wed Jun 9 12:48:22 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 13:25:16 +0100, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 09/06/2021 11:57, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> > I'm uneducated about the "deliverables" in GSoC, but in general I'd
> > suggest narrowing down the scope as much as possible. I don't know how
> > hard it is to program USB audio, but if QEMU provides a good device
> > model for that, out of the box, I would recommend basing the edk2 work
> > on that device.
>
> QEMU also has good support for passing through a real USB device, which
> might be useful if you ever suspect that the QEMU device implementation is
> behaving incorrectly.

I have used the USB passthrough in anger, and sometimes it has been
flawless, but other times it has been flaky.

So, yes - it is worth cross-checking real and emulated hw when running
into unexpected issues, but the passed-through hw is not automatically
more reliable.

/
    Leif

View/Reply Online (#76272): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/76272