[edk2-devel] Help with debugging

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Fri Jun 11 23:48:10 UTC 2021

> On Jun 11, 2021, at 4:29 PM, Ethin Probst <harlydavidsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Your suggestion of adding 0x240 worked. I'm able to successfully step
> through the code now. Thank you!

OK that makes sense. The address in the add-symbol-file command is not the load address of the image, but the start address of the text section. So that is why you had to add 0x240.

Sorry I had to work backwards from how it works, but maybe that info will be helpful for others?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

> On 6/11/21, Andrew Fish <afish at apple.com <mailto:afish at apple.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 11, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Ethin Probst <harlydavidsen at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Initial connection and loading symbols:
>>> Remote debugging using :1234
>>> 0x000000007e4b9517 in ?? ()
>>> add symbol table from file "Build/MdeModule/DEBUG_GCC5/X64/UsbAudio.debug"
>>> at
>>> 	.text_addr = 0x7e4b8000
>>> Reading symbols from Build/MdeModule/DEBUG_GCC5/X64/UsbAudio.debug...
>>> Expanding full symbols from
>>> Build/MdeModule/DEBUG_GCC5/X64/UsbAudio.debug...
>>> Backtrace:
>>> #0  0x000000007e4b9517 in UefiMain (st=0x7f9ee018,
>>> imageHandle=0x7e4f7518) at
>>> /home/ethin/source/edk/edk2/MdeModulePkg/Application/UsbAudio/UsbAudio.c:72
>>> #1  ProcessModuleEntryPointList (SystemTable=0x7f9ee018,
>>> ImageHandle=0x7e4f7518) at
>>> /home/ethin/source/edk/edk2/Build/MdeModule/DEBUG_GCC5/X64/MdeModulePkg/Application/UsbAudio/UsbAudio/DEBUG/AutoGen.c:300
>>> #2  _ModuleEntryPoint (ImageHandle=0x7e4f7518, SystemTable=0x7f9ee018)
>>> at
>>> /home/ethin/source/edk/edk2/MdePkg/Library/UefiApplicationEntryPoint/ApplicationEntryPoint.c:59
>>> #3  0x000000007fead316 in ?? ()
>>> #4  0x000000007e4f7518 in ?? ()
>>> #5  0x000000007feab5c7 in ?? ()
>>> #6  0x000000007fea3520 in ?? ()
>>> #7  0x0000000101000000 in ?? ()
>>> #8  0x0000000000000030 in ?? ()
>>> #9  0x000000007e4f6018 in ?? ()
>>> #10 0x000000007e60a918 in ?? ()
>>> #11 0x000000000000011d in ?? ()
>>> #12 0x000000007fea3528 in ?? ()
>>> #13 0x000000007e4f7818 in ?? ()
>>> #14 0x000000007e4f7c98 in ?? ()
>>> #15 0x000000007fea3538 in ?? ()
>>> #16 0x000000007e3abfca in ?? ()
>>> #17 0x000000007e4f7418 in ?? ()
>>> #18 0x000000007fea3528 in ?? ()
>>> #19 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>>> Source-code listing:
>>> 1	/** @file
>>> 2	  GCC inline implementation of BaseLib processor specific functions.
>>> 3
>>> 4	  Copyright (c) 2006 - 2020, Intel Corporation. All rights
>>> reserved.<BR>
>>> 5	  Portions copyright (c) 2008 - 2009, Apple Inc. All rights
>>> reserved.<BR>
>>> 6	  SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause-Patent
>>> 7
>>> 8	**/
>>> 9
>>> 10
>>> Attempt to use "next":
>>> 72	} else if (interfaceDescriptor.InterfaceClass == 0x01 &&
>>> interfaceDescriptor.InterfaceSubClass == 0x03) {
>>> (This is my code but it continuously prints this same line over and
>>> over every time "next" is used.)
>>> Attempt to use "print Index":
>>> No symbol "Index" in current context.
>>> info local:
>>> UsbIo = 0x0
>>> interfaceDescriptor = {Length = 0 '\000', DescriptorType = 8 '\b',
>>> InterfaceNumber = 1 '\001', AlternateSetting = 0 '\000', NumEndpoints
>>> = 0 '\000', InterfaceClass = 0 '\000', InterfaceSubClass = 0 '\000',
>>> InterfaceProtocol = 0 '\000',
>>> Interface = 0 '\000'}
>>> i = 2118887920
>>> numHandles = 264