[EnMasse] First setup and usage of enmasse

Bob Claerhout bob.claerhout at aloxy.io
Mon Dec 17 11:24:44 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to kubernetes/openshift and enmasse so hopefully I'm not asking silly questions. However, I can't seem to find proper documentation on how to setup the current version of enmasse(0.24.1). My ultimate goal is to have hono<https://www.eclipse.org/hono/> communicate with some custom backend processing after which ditto<https://www.eclipse.org/ditto/> keeps the digital twin. For your information, I've installed openshift by following this youtube video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkFIozGY0IA>.

I've tried following steps:

  *   The hono documentation<https://www.eclipse.org/hono/deployment/openshift/> to deploy hono in combination with enmasse is outdated since it uses enmasse version 0.20.0.
  *   When I go to the design docs<https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/tree/master/documentation/design_docs> of enmasse I find 2 links:
     *   Getting Started<https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/blob/master/documentation/design_docs/getting-started/README.adoc> -> Does not exist
     *   Service Catalog<https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/blob/master/documentation/design_docs/servicecatalog/README.adoc> -> Uses a deploy.sh script which is no longer available in release 0.24.1.
  *   I don't know why, but the enmasse workshop<https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse-workshop/> didn't work for me. The project does not appear after running the playbook.
  *   I managed to install enmasse via the documentation on enmasse.io<http://enmasse.io/documentation/0.24.1/openshift/> but didn't find any information on how other micro-services (sometimes in other projects/namespaces) could connect to the enmasse instance. The main issue with this is that a dynamic service name is generated when a address space is generated.

It's hard to find one reliable source to get information from. Maybe I'm not looing at the right place or making huge mistakes without knowing.

Can somebody help me to get things running?

Thanks in advance,

Bob