[EnMasse] First setup and usage of enmasse

Rob Godfrey rgodfrey at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 12:12:12 UTC 2018

Hi Bob,

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 12:24, Bob Claerhout <bob.claerhout at aloxy.io> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm fairly new to kubernetes/openshift and enmasse so hopefully I'm not
> asking silly questions. However, I can't seem to find proper documentation
> on how to setup the current version of enmasse(0.24.1). My ultimate goal is
> to have hono <https://www.eclipse.org/hono/> communicate with some custom
> backend processing after which ditto <https://www.eclipse.org/ditto/>
> keeps the digital twin. For your information, I've installed openshift by
> following this youtube video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkFIozGY0IA>.
>

> I've tried following steps:
>
>    - The hono documentation
>    <https://www.eclipse.org/hono/deployment/openshift/> to deploy hono in
>    combination with enmasse is outdated since it uses enmasse version 0.20.0.
>    - When I go to the design docs
>    <https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/tree/master/documentation/design_docs>
>    of enmasse I find 2 links:
>       - Getting Started
>       <https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/blob/master/documentation/design_docs/getting-started/README.adoc>
>       -> Does not exist
>       - Service Catalog
>       <https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/blob/master/documentation/design_docs/servicecatalog/README.adoc>
>       -> Uses a deploy.sh script which is no longer available in release 0.24.1.
>    - I don't know why, but the enmasse workshop
>    <https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse-workshop/> didn't work for
>    me. The project does not appear after running the playbook.
>    - I managed to install enmasse via the documentation on enmasse.io
>    <http://enmasse.io/documentation/0.24.1/openshift/> but didn't find
>    any information on how other micro-services (sometimes in other
>    projects/namespaces) could connect to the enmasse instance. The main issue
>    with this is that a dynamic service name is generated when a address space
>    is generated.
>
> It's hard to find one reliable source to get information from. Maybe I'm
> not looing at the right place or making huge mistakes without knowing.

Apologies at the state of some of the documentation,  in general for
EnMasse always start with the docs you can find at http://enmasse.io/ ...
the "design_docs" directory in the repo is (I'm afraid) a bit of a dumping
ground for old potentially out-of-date information which may still have
some value that can be extracted for creating our product documentation.

For you, installing Hono and EnMasse together on OpenShift, I think your
best path may be to follow the guide here:
https://www.eclipse.org/hono/deployment/openshift_s2i/ which should give a
comprehensive guide for this integration.

> Can somebody help me to get things running?

Please let us know if you experience any further issues, and we'll be happy
to help in any way we can,

-- Rob

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bob

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB
153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill