[EnMasse] Upcoming REST API changes

Rob Godfrey rgodfrey at redhat.com
Tue May 8 10:13:08 UTC 2018

On 8 May 2018 at 11:52, Gordon Sim <gsim at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/05/18 10:20, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>
>> Further, when we talk about "addressSpace" and "address" here, are we
>> talking about the names as the user will understand them (i.e. not bound by
>> kubernetes naming restrictions) or some sort of mangled form are valid
>> kubernetes names?
>>

> That is a good point. I assume it is probably valid kubernetes names
> (though the spec may then contain the actual user desired names without
> restrictions). That is less than ideal, but possibly hard to avoid.

I think it would be less of an issue if the address space was the primary
> addressable (apologies for overloaded use of term) entity in the API. (I.e.
> its less arduous to say that address spaces must always be valid kubernetes
> names, but addresses don't need to be).

Yes - I also considered that really there is no reason not to force
addressSpace names to follow the same naming restrictions as kubernetes
names - this would make things easier I think.  Addresses still present a
bit of a problem if we allow them to be accessed directly as a named object
from kubernetes; however even if we do, is it necessary for us to make the
REST API use the mangled names that kubernetes would use?

-- Rob

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB
153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill