[EnMasse] Upcoming REST API changes

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Tue May 8 10:47:34 UTC 2018

On 08/05/18 11:32, Gordon Sim wrote:
> I guess my question would be what the aims are.

Just to clarify, I get that one idea is to allow the API to be
implemented in different ways. However we are also discussing the
constraints on the possible APIs from backing them with CRDs. So partly
I mean the aim of using CRDs and partly also the envisaged use case for
the API itself.

> Is it to allow kubectl
> to be used intuitively in place of a custom tool?

If this is the case, then perhaps requiring valid kubernetes names would
not be an issue since the user would be familiar with that constraint?

This is also perhaps true for people working with the yaml definitions
directly, which I think is all users of the REST API, right? So perhaps
there is no issue in requiring kubernetes valid names in the API?

The console could still hide that detail if/when used though obviously
it gets harder to ensure uniqueness if combining user defined names and
auto-mangled names.