[EnMasse] Upcoming REST API changes

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Tue May 8 10:32:11 UTC 2018

On 08/05/18 11:23, Rob Godfrey wrote:

> On 8 May 2018 at 12:17, Gordon Sim <gsim at redhat.com
> <mailto:gsim at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/05/18 11:13, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
>
>         An address is not unique within the namespace, but as Rob
>         pointed out, we would need the ability to use labelSelectors to
>         identify which when deleting for instance.
>

>     Presumably each CRD needs to have a unique name/identity though?
>     Using kubectl, how would you delete an address? I guess one approach
>     would be to prefix the address with the address-space name/id to get
>     the addresses own identity?
>

> such prefixing can't (easily) produce guaranteed uniqueness though, for
> simplicity, assume the separator character is - : address space a-b with
> address c would give the same compound address as space a, address b-c

You could reserve some special character as the separator and not allow
it in address names (so one restriction, but much less than implied by
kubernetes names). (e.g. # @ $...)

Not ideal though I agree. I'm not seriously proposing that either, just
thinking aloud.

I guess my question would be what the aims are. Is it to allow kubectl
to be used intuitively in place of a custom tool? Is it for some better
form of interaction at scale? Is it to allow namespacing of
address-spaces? Or combination of these?