Release and update procedure for EPEL

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:33:19 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> On 02.03.2007 13:36, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >> Yep, launched last September.  From the right-side column here:
> >> https://rhstack.108.redhat.com
> >> ... is this list of apps and versions:
> >> HTTPD Apache 2.0.59
> >> JBoss AS 4.0.5
> >> MySQL 5.0.30
> >> PHP 5.1.6
> >> Perl 5.8.8
> >> PostgreSQL 8.1.8
> >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 4
> >> I suppose that makes those applications and versions not eligible to be
> >> packages in EPEL?  Is eligibility decided by applications or specific
> >> versions or both?  Or some other combination?
> > EPEL packages are not to replace packages in RHEL  so of those  we could maybe
> > include JBoss.
>
> +1 (including the maybe)
>
> >  though things get murky when it comes to Red Hat add on's

I guess I assumed we were not aiming to replace RHEL base packages.
As for the other channels of software, we probably need to visit each
one.  Does CentOS or Scientific currently repackage the other channels
that RH normally charges subscription for?  Excuse my ignorance, we
are strictly a RHEL shop.

For example, Directory Server, Application Server, Developer Suite
Channel, etc are all add-on channels that have a lot of great packages
but are not part of the core RHEL base.  Maybe it's a good topic for
this weekend's meeting?