Unstable EPEL? (frequent package updates)

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Tue Jul 1 18:38:53 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen schrieb:
> Ok the big problem is that there are multiple types of users for EPEL,
> and each group seems to wax and wane in asking for things. Several
> months ago, the people who wanted to have newer stuff regularly versus
> once a quarter asked and got enough push to get it done.

I think you are right that there are different types of users. You can't make
everyone happy.

But it is not (at least from my pov) about monthly vs. quarterly releases. I
really like monthly updates. But the EPEL policy (as I read it) states that
version updates should not happen unless there is a really good reason. IMHO
the question whether to push new packages on a quarterly, monthly or daily
basis is completely separate.

> I would love to be able to have different channels for each of the
> types of releases that people want, but everyone wants something
> different.

That's why I think we should concentrate on the stable policy. If the
infrastructure gets in a shape that we can serve an unstable branch (and we
have the volunteers to do it!), we could extend EPEL's focus.

Felix Schwarz