June stable push ?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jun 12 16:24:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:00:06 +0200
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 09.06.2009 21:44, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone taking care of the stable push for June ?
>
> FWIW, there IIRC wasn't even one in May either iirc.
>
> > I guess Thorsten is probably busy with other stuff,
>
> Yes, sorry, I was really busy with lot of RPM Fusion stuff and real
> life; EPEL moved off by radar so I forgot about it.
>
> In fact I feared exactly that and that was the reason why I months ago
> (is it even more then a year now? not sure, can't remember) tried to
> get away from EPEL nearly completely (¹), which was running quite
> fine back then.
>
> But the latter not the case anymore. Sure, packagers are still doing a
> whole lot of good work, but leadership/steering is afaics nearly not
> existent at all, which IMHO is a dangerous situation for a project
> like EPEL (especially as RHEL6 is not that far away anymore and we
> need to be prepared for that).

Well, somewhat agreed. What critical issue is waiting to be addressed?

> Some examples: No weekly reports for months (which were a requirement
> from FESCo when the EPEL Steering Committee was formed and thus should
> still be written!), nearly no meetings and the steering committee
> obviously doesn't even care if testing -> stable move get done. Hey,
> not even one of the steering committee members actually answered your
> mail in the past few days which IMHO tells us everything already.

I have tried (twice or three times, I forget) to get regular meetings
going again. Either I can't get a time where everyone can attend, no
one does attend, or people forget about the meetings.

We did have some meetings a few months ago, and a few things came out of
them, but not much. Mostly people were "everything is running ok, what
do we need to do".

> Or IOW: what exactly did the steering committee do over the past six
> months? Nearly nothing I'd say. Dglimore (maybe one or two others from
> the Steering Committee; not sure,) did some work for koji and bodhi
> for EPEL, but that's nearly all afaics.

Agreed. What items do you think should be addressed?

> IMHO it's time for the steering committee to say "Sorry, we screwed
> up, we all step down; the last thing we do it to make sure a new
> steering committee is formed somehow"

ok. Happy to do so.
Who wants to be in a new committee?
Judging from the lack of people interested in meetings I would say not
many. I'm happy to step down if others step up tho.

Alternately, if I can get commitment from people to attend meetings I
will hold them and try and get things back on track.

Note that a while back we discussed if EPEL is in need of a "steering
comittee" which implies elections and such. We decided that it was much
more a SIG than a Project. I don't know if that needs to be addressed
by fesco.

> > but is anyone else able to take care of that ?
>
> Anyone can prepare one:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Tasks/NextTestingStableMove
>
> But I did it a few times already, so I can prepare another one quite
> easily.

One was/is being done by Michael Stahnke.

> > iirc, there are some perms issue.
>
> That is still the case afaics. Only dglimore can actually do the push
> and testing->stable moves.

Yes, this is the case as far as I know.

> CU
> knurd
>
> (¹) Yes, I did prepare a few stable pushes over the past few months to
> help out, but I mentioned a few times already that I didn't really
> want to do them anymore; looking back at it I should have made it
> more clear to prevent the current situation; sorry for that;

yeah, sorry if people have been bugging you on that.

kevin