June stable push ?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jun 13 09:38:22 UTC 2009

On 12.06.2009 18:00, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 09.06.2009 21:44, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>
> I would see if we could get EPEL more part of Fedora-proper.   It is
> /rather/ important and critical to let pushes not be regular.
>
> I have asked folks to use EPEL-testing for some time, and that keeps
> working, but since Fedora infra and the build system is rather
> rock solid, I think pushing things to use the same systems (i.e. the
> update system) and such are the way to go as that would also encourage
> more people to package for and use EPEL (hopefully).
>
> It's crazy odd to ask folks to use "testing" to get packages that are
> recent, and the Fedora build and update system Fedora has would eliminate
> this problem altogether (especially if kicked from the same place).

I'd fully agree to "pushing things to use the same systems (i.e. the
update system) and such are the way to go as that would also encourage
more people to package for and use EPEL (hopefully)."

But I tend to disagree with the other intention of the mail. EPEL is
designed to be a add-on repo for RHEL/CentOS that moves slow and
provides stable base you can rely on, just as RHEL/CentOS itself -- the
monthly pushes help here, as contributors might start to go wild like in
Fedora otherwise. Of course packages can be pushed quicker if there is a
good reason to.

CU
knurd