nagios shipped by RedHat, but in a specific subscription channel

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 01:38:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, inode0 wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > "EPEL is purely a complimentary add-on repository and does not replace
> > packages in RHEL or layered products."

> > "EPEL is purely a complimentary add-on repository and does not replace
> > packages in RHEL. [Package conflicts are determined by what is openly
> > available from Red Hat's tree (currently located at
> > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/) ]
>
> I would appreciate you putting up with one more serious question from
> the perspective of a user. Since RHEIPA, RHSAT, RHDirServ, RHCERT,
> RHWAS, and more fall into this new category and since the upstream
> versions of many of those have been suggested as desirable targets for
> inclusion in EPEL can you help me understand what a package conflict
> means in this case? Is it a conflict at the package level? Is it a
> conflict at the file level?

I'm conflicted about this for a lot of reasons.  First, I'm the nagios
packager (though orphaning if anyone wants it. I've been meaning to for a
while but have been too lazy)

The second concern is that other packages fall into this category.  For my
job in Fedora, Turbogears is a big deal.  Right now the people that
package TurboGears actually work with me in Fedora Infrasturcture.  So
when we have a problem, it magically goes away.

At the same time though.  The point of EPEL from the start as I understood
it is we don't replace packages in RHEL and we don't allow EPEL to be a
way to route around or not pay for channels (which is why we don't ship
the cluster suite).  The whole deal was to provide not just extra packages
for enterprise linux but also peace of mind for people that use RHEL.

This is a tough position to be in, it really is.  I'm going to think on it
some but I'm more inclined to say if RH ships it we remove it from EPEL
even though I'm 95% sure that's going to make my life in Fedora
Infrastructure harder.

/me goes to think some more.

	-Mike