EPEL + EUS (Extended Update Support) [aka zStream]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 11 20:48:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, BJ Dierkes
<wdierkes at 5dollarwhitebox.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to ping the list for your thoughts on EUS/zStream [1] as it relates to EPEL.  I've asked in an IRC meeting before but the general consensus was EPEL wasn't going to bother with EUS.  What I wanted to see is, who [if anyone else] is concerned about making EPEL available for EUS.  There is no way obviously to honor the EUS patching requirements of only backporting security fixes, however making EPEL available for users of EUS might be something to consider.

Ok here are the issues:

1) It takes a lot of disk space to support zStream releases. Not just
in the FTP mirrors but also in the build system as each zStream needs
to be mirrored in the buildsystem.

2) The naming structure of EPEL would require some work because you
would need to make sure that if you build a package built against
EL-5.3 got upgraded when the user updates to EL-5.5. This would
require work in the build system, packaging scheme, bugzilla, etc.
While some of the work is trivial, enough is not and there aren't a
lot of cycles (dgilmore is our main person to do most of the grunt
work and his cycles are quite limited).