Plans for EL4 End of Life

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 06:46:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:21:31PM -0800, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> So, we have about 60 days until EL4 goes to End of Life from Red Hat[1] (and
> thus triggering CentOS, and I imagine Oracle, Scientific et al).
>
> What are the plans for EPEL 4?
>
> The way I see we have a few options:
>
> 1.  We stop putting new content in EPEL4 and take down the EPEL mirror (thus
> really end-of-lifeing EPEL 4)
> 2.  We stop putting in new content, and leave the mirrors, thus allowing those
> who haven't migrated to ahve some sort of package options, with no option for
> updates
> 3.  We keep allow people to add content to EPEL4 due to things like extended
> support
> 4.  Some other option I haven't though about yet.

Kind of a hybrid between 1) and 2) => Stop putting new content into EPEL4.
Move current EPEL4 repositories to archives.fedoraproject.org.  This shows
that we're EOLing support for EPEL4 and also allows mirrors to opt out of
carrying it but still lets people who are desperate to keep their
RHEL/Centos4 boxes running a chance to benefit from the software that we
built.

OTOH, I may be being selfish -- in Fedora Infrastructure we've long since
moved away from RHEL4 (we're 3/4 of the way through migratin from RHEL5 to
RHEL6 as well).  I have a python module that's needed for running fedpkg on
top of RHEL4 and if we drop EPEL4, I don't have to support that (and the
python-2.3 compatibility that it entails) anymore.

-Toshio