[et-mgmt-tools] Kernel panic while booting rhel4 via pxe

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 14:52:14 UTC 2007

niyaz chistee wrote:
> Hello,
> Okay. See.
> I have installed RHEL5 Server and within it I have installed Cobbler
> and koan. Then I installed VMware on the same RHEL5 Server and booted
> RHEL5/RHEL4 installations (for testing purposes) via cobbler. They
> booted well and were installed.
> Now I have a different physical machine (different than my RHEL5
> Server machine mentioned earlier). That machine is Windows XP and
> within that windows XP is VMware installed. From that VMware I try to
> boot RHEL4 installation via cobbler + koan installed on my RHEL5
> server. This thing doesn't boot and gives the message I told earlier.
> But all other things boot well.
>
> Hope you get me this time. If you want to ask more questions please
> feel free to ask.
>
> Regards
> SysAdmin

Sounds like the kernel panic is related to something hardware-ish that
is causing your install to fail.   Doesn't sound cobbler/koan related,
and is probably out of scope for this list...

You might want to go down the official support channels for figuring out
what's up with your kernel panic.   Cobbler isn't officially supported,
but Anaconda and your kernel is.    This wouldn't be something that has
anything to do with cobbler,
but it might have something to do with what options (kernel options or
kickstart options) you're booting it with.   I don't know.