[et-mgmt-tools] Re: Cobbler import --path weirdness

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 21:15:12 UTC 2007

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> Will do. Thanks for the help. So not using import but distro and
> profile may eliminate this issue?

Yes...
> Question, one of the issues when using a mass storage device, like NFS
> mounted NAS, is that we usually mount these things squash_root for
> security and since we run cobbler as root, it can't write to the
> destination.
>
> What are your thoughts on using a 'cobbler' user and group, setting
> the correct group permissions etc.

Cobbler needs to interact with /sbin/service and a few other things that
root needs access to.    Particularly import runs createrepo because,
depending on how imported, rsync might be told to exclude some packages
and it has to rebuild the index.   For instance, if importing from
an rsync mirror, one might know they didn't want Open Office translation
packages and could save the space/bandwidth.

> The issues I was having when using the NAS / NSF mounts was that the
> import seemed to mess up the repodata xml files and an ugly python
> error ensues. ( no repos left) The issue seems to be with walking the
> file set after import.
Createrepo might not like NFS with the way you've mounted it.   This is
likely.

> I apologise, I don't have the error output.
>
> Has anyone else run into similar issues when importing from a NFS
> source or the like?
I would just do "cobbler distro add" and "cobbler profile add" ... once
you understnad those, that is really all cobbler is automating for you
with import.