[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager doesn't update the memory usage in the list

Source prime.provogue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:26:29 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Hugh Brock <hbrock at redhat.com> wrote:

> Source wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Well I have created a new virtual machine using virt-manager (hypervisor
> > Qemu-KVM). Now earlier I had allocated 256MB RAM to the virtual machine.
> > Now when I try to change it from right clicking the VM (in the list
> > shown by virt-manager) and selecting details , hardware , memory and
> > decreasing it to 128MB it doesn't update it. It shows the updated value
> > in Hardware->Memory but when I apply it , it doesn't get updated in
> > Virt-manager main windows VM Lists. So when I restart virt-manager I am
> > still shown 256MB RAM in the main window and also in
> > Details>Hardware>Memory.
> >
> > Can't I change the memory limit after creating the VM. It's a redhat
> > enterprise 5 Fully virtualized guest.
> >
> > And if I can't change it then how can I edit the RAM limits in
> > Details>Hardware>Memory.
> >
> Hi.
>
> Unfortunately, you can't modify the vcpus or memory for a fully
> virtualized guest while it's running. If virt-manager is letting you do
> that, that's a bug, we should fix it (I assume the guest is running when
> you do this?).

No the guest is not running at that time of changing memory.

If the guest is shut down, you should be able to edit the memory
> settings and have the changes persist -- is that the case?

But the changes doesn't persist. Even if I apply. It shows the changed
values in the Hardware Details but doesn't applies them that's why the
virtual machine lists in the main window shows the old value and the next
startup of virt-manager too uses the old vaue.

--Hugh