[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler + %pre and %post in kickstart

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 14:43:32 UTC 2007

Mike M wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Harry Hoffman <hhoffman at ip-solutions.net> wrote:
>
>> If you find a way to do this outside of the RAID bios I would be very
>> interested.
>>
>> There are utilities to manage the raid once the OS is installed but I
>> believe it's more basic stuff (i.e. check status, list containers, show
>> hot-swap).
>>

> Dell actually provides something that *should* work - Dell OpenManage
> Deployment Toolkit:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=4450&libid=36&releaseid=R158116&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_2950&servicetag=&os=LIN4&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1
>
> I haven't tried using the RAID tools just yet, but it does seem
> feasible to shim it into kickstart.  I assume other hardware vendors
> have similar tools.

Ironically, I used to write hardware RAID configuration software in a
previous life :)

In theory, it should be possible to (a) retrieve the OEM command line
tool in %pre (wget?) and configure hardware RAID with it there (in
%pre), so you wouldn't have to rebuild the initrd just to add the raid
tools.  Either way, after running the RAID tool in %pre you will
probably have to do something like scsi-add-single to get Anaconda to
see the new drives prior to partitioning setup.   Linux does not
generally discover new logical drives without being told to look.   Your
driver/RAID tool might vary though.

I haven't really tried this to see if it would work, but I don't see why
it wouldn't.

Obviously you are also going to need your drivers for the particular
hardware installed first, so you'll probably want to look into the
"driverdisk" option in kickstart if they
are not enabled by default.   Using the shell (Control-Alt-F2?) is
probably a good idea to do this all manually the first time, to see what
problems you might encounter.  Possibly put a sleep in pre to give you
some time to test your commands within the boot environment and then
write down what you need to do.

http://www.red-hat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

--Michael