[et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: virt-viewer release 0.0.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 01:41:28 UTC 2007

Following on from the recent release of GTK-VNC, I'm pleased to be able to
announce the first official release of "Virtual Machine Viewer" (virt-viewer)
version 0.0.1.

  http://virt-manager.org/download/sources/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-0.0.1.tar.gz

virt-viewer provides a lightweight, minimal client for connecting to the
graphical display associated with a virtuaized guest OS. It currently
supports connecting with the VNC protocol, and uses the GTK-VNC widget to
provide the display. It uses libvirt to looking up VNC server configuration
of the specified guest OS.

It is intended as a replacement for any use of 'vncviewer'. Thus instead of
having to first run 'virsh vncdisplay' to find the display info, and then
feed it to vncviewer, you can simply run virt-viewer. Since it uses GTK-VNC,
it also supports IPv6 and SSL/TLS encryption with x509 certificate auth
via the VeNCrypt extension.

To connect to the guest called "demo" running under Xen

   virt-viewer demo

To connect to the guest with ID 7 running under QEMU

   virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system 7

To wait for the Xen guest with UUID 66ab33c0-6919-a3f7-e659-16c82d248521 to
startup and then connect to its console

   virt-viewer --wait 66ab33c0-6919-a3f7-e659-16c82d248521

In the near future it will also be able to lookup details of remote hosts:
For example using SSL/TLS:

   virt-viewer --connect xen:///example.org/ demo

Or tunnelled over SSH:

   virt-viewer --connect xen+ssh:///example.org/ demo

The virt-viewer app is provided under the GPL license. It depends on
libvirt, GTK2, GTK-VNC, and libxml2

Virtual Machine Viewer is part of the 'Virt Manager' family of applications
whose website is:

   http://virt-manager.org/

To contact the developers use the project mailing list: