[et-mgmt-tools] Re: Cobbler Check fails: ImportError: No modulenamed cobbler.cobbler

Goodman, Roger L CTR JCS J8/SAMD Roger.Goodman at js.pentagon.mil
Fri Aug 17 15:00:55 UTC 2007

Michael,
	Regarding your questions, I downloaded a file called cobbler-0.6.0.tar.gz from the website http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/ .  I extracted it, ran some kind of a build command, to end up with cobbler-0.6.0.linux-x86_64.tar.gz, which I untarred from the root directory.  At no point did I see a requirement/prerequisite of Cheetah.Template (not on the website, not in the .tar.gz file, not during the build phase).  When I ran the "cobbler check" command, and I got the failure, is when I discovered that something was missing.
     I have since then loaded Cheetah templated from an RPM file on the RHEL 5 disks, and cobbler has fewer complaints now.  Still having problems getting a tftpd to stay running.  The tftp-server RPM is installed, but when I start tftp, it immediately exits.  When I first looked, I didn't see an RPM for the x86_64 architecture, which is why I went with the source file.
	So, I did not do a --force RPM install of cobbler, as I didn't have an RPM file, and the Cheetah.Template file came from the RHEL5 disks (disk 4, as I recall).  I did not have to do a --force on it, either, but I did install it _after_ cobbler had failed.
	My suggestions:
1. On the webpage, mention any/all prerequisites, and maybe even how to test if they are installed.
2. On the download page, link directly to the file wanted (x86, x86_64, etc.) directly, rather than dropping people into the Fedora EPEL 5 (x86_64) first page.  I did not catch that I could jump to a letter at the top of the page, and thought that the page showing was all that was available.  I did look in the links on the left, but didn't see it anywhere there, either.
Thanks, Roger Goodman