[et-mgmt-tools] Xen System builds using Koan

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 14:24:41 UTC 2007

Jason Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, August 27, 2007 10:29 am, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>>> I would first get the cobbler && koan from EPEL testing. They are
>>> updated and fix a lot of bugs from the EPEL-stable version.
>>>

>> Exactly what I was going to say :)
>>
>> 0.6.0 is out now, and I'll be releasing 0.6.1 (a few more refinements)
>> later this week.
>> 0.4.x is pretty old.
>>
>> --Michael
>>

>   Thanks, Michael.  Through trail and error I discovered that Cobbler/Koan
> did not like me using a DNS name for the system name to build a Xen VM.
> When I used a MAC address for the system it worked just fine.  I should
> have yielded to the advice in the man pages and just used a MAC.

You don't have to do that in 0.6.x :)

>   Also, thanks for the heads up on 0.6.0.  Along with the bug fixes it
> looks to have some neat features including an increased number of
> builtin variables, along with the kickstart snippets that I can use for
> kickstart templates.  When will 0.6.0 be moved over to the standard EPEL
> repo?

Everyone just pull the RPM's out of EPEL testing.   For what it's worth,
I'm using EPEL for "stable" releases
only, and "testing" builds of cobbler (like the 0.5.x series) will never
be pushed there.

 From recent discussions on #epel (IRC), epel is probably going to push
quarterly, which means I can't update
periodically for bugfixes and improvements as I would like.   So, as a
result, what is in EPEL stable is currently very old and I have
no way of updating it.

If you don't want the rest of your system to get packages out of EPEL
"testing" for whatever reason, you can just enable the repo,
install cobbler, and disable the repo.   As long as you are on the list
you'll get the release announcements so that may be workable.