[et-mgmt-tools] distro not updating on an IP Address change

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 19:09:46 UTC 2007

Patrick Nixon wrote:
> Hey all,
>  I just downloaded and configured my laptop to be a cobbler server.
>
>  One of the requirements is to be able to take this laptop, plug it
> into the appropriate network switch, update the IP Address, and have
> everything work.
>
>  I've worked out updating /var/lib/cobbler/settings and
> /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template and everything is updated with the new IP
> Address once I run cobbler sync.
>
>  Except... /var/lib/cobbler/distros.
>
>  It's retaining the old IP Address in ks_meta tree item and the
> source_repos item.
>
>  Any suggestions on the best method to manage these two items in the file?

You could write a script that read the value of
/var/lib/cobbler/settings ($server parameter)
and then  updated the contents of /var/lib/cobbler/distros appropriately.

It is a perfectly reasonable request to be able to have a value like
"$server" inside the "tree" parameter and have
it parse out though.

I'll see about adding that for 0.6.1  -- we could only use this behavior
for distros
we imported with "cobbler import" and didn't use the "--available-as"
parameter, but that would
cover a very large amount of distros.

If implemented as mentioned above, all you would have to do is change
/var/lib/cobbler/settings and re-sync.