[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler install/kickstart question

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 14:49:50 UTC 2007

Maute, Kevin P CTR AFRL/VAOO wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Be kind to a newbie. Michael has been a big help but now I need to
> expand my net.
>
> I am moving at a pretty good pace now that I found cobbler but I am a
> bit stuck. I am trying to get kickstart to recognize the RPMs in the
> Cluster dir of RHEL5 Sever. It shows up correctly in my local repo but
> everytime I add it to my ks package list I get the dreaded
> Abort/Continue dialog. I realize this might be better asked on the
> kickstart list BUT I thought I would start here since I see a lot of
> virtualization activity which from a kickstart perspective is probably
> similar…

This sounds like a good question for this list to me, especially if it
involves setting up RHEL 5 with your Cobbler boot server.

Quick question -- Did you start your configuration with an DVD import
using "cobbler import" ? If so, cobbler should be keeping track of the
individual "split" repos for RHEL5, and making them available in the
kickstart file. It should have also ran createrepo on each split
repository such that it has correct yum metadata.

Basically if you look at the rendered kickstart file in
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/$name (this is the output of cobbler, not
the input), you should see a couple of extra "repo"
lines that represent the additional repos that have been attached.

If you are not using a kickstart template based off one of the ones that
shipped in cobbler (/etc/cobbler/*.ks) you may be missing the directive
($yum_repo_stanza) that allows
for attaching of these associated repos automatically. To see what
kickstart template you are using, run "cobbler profile report $profilename".

--Michael