[et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: virt-top 0.3.2.5 released

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 15:21:06 UTC 2007

Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Tom Georgoulias wrote:

>>> The RHEL5 RPM on the download page is for the RHEL5.1 beta, right?
>>
>> That RPM should (about 99% certain) work on RHEL 5 GA.
>
> I asked that because tried installing it on one of my RHEL5 servers and
> it didn't work at all.  When I run virt-top, the terminal kinda
> "flashes" and returns a prompt.
>
> [root at rvrt001d ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
> [root at rvrt001d ~]# rpm -q virt-top
> virt-top-0.3.2.5-1
> [root at rvrt001d ~]# rpm -q libvirt
> libvirt-0.1.8-15.el5
>
> libvirt for RHEL 5.0 is older than the 0.2.1 you mentioned on the
> download page, and the RHEL5 beta on RHN has 0.2.3-4.

Ah right, I see.  libvirt 0.1.8 is too old for virt-top.  You need
minimum libvirt 0.2.1.  The reason is because we need the vcpu info
stuff which was only added in libvirt 0.2.1
(http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html).

One simple solution is to compile a local copy of libvirt and point the
binary at it, something like this:

   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/my/local/copy/lib virt-top

By the way, you can narrow down these problems by doing:

   virt-top --debug somefile

which will write debugging info to the file (basically, everything which
would normally go to stderr, but in a curses program stderr isn't really
available).

Rich.