[et-mgmt-tools] Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Dec 4 20:23:56 UTC 2007

Am 04.12.2007 um 21:05 schrieb Michael DeHaan:

> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>

>> Well, when it PXE-TFTP-boots, I get into a menu - but I actually
>> don't want to do that ;-)
>> I want to use a MAC-based system.
>> Did I do something wrong? I just added the systems via the web-GUI
>> and assumed it would select the right system via the MAC-address I
>> entered.
>>
> It will ... provided the MAC addresses match up. It sounds like
> they might not.
>
> If you have the MAC entry, it should boot directly to whatever the
> system is assigned to and not sit on the menu.

Well, the menu comes after I type "menu".
This was already the case in my test-environment, but it generally
worked there because I was hardcoding the partition-information and
the network-configuration was at the profile-level (which is a
mistake, of course).

Here's from the "systems" file in /var/lib/cobbler/ :

-
     depth: 2
     interfaces:
         intf0:
             dhcp_tag: ''
             gateway: ''
             hostname: ''
             ip_address: ''
             mac_address: ''
             subnet: ''
             virt_bridge: ''
         intf1:
             dhcp_tag: ''
             gateway: ''
             hostname: host143.intern
             ip_address: ''
             mac_address: '00:50:56:87:1E:F4'
             subnet: ''
             virt_bridge: ''
     kernel_options:
         ksdevice: eth1
     kickstart: <<inherit>>
     ks_meta:
         ksgw: '192.168.83.129'
         kshostname: host143.intern
         ksip: '192.168.83.143'
         ksmaxslash: '5000'
         ksmaxswap: '1100'
         ksmaxvarlog: '2048'
         ksmaxvarspool: '2048'
         ksmetadev: eth0
         ksnetmask: '255.255.255.128'
         ksns: '192.168.83.140'
     name: host143
     netboot_enabled: True
     parent: ''
     profile: RHEL5.1-i386-mailserver
     server: <<inherit>>
     virt_path: <<inherit>>
     virt_type: <<inherit>>

I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the PXE-
network via dhcpd.conf?

cheers,
Rainer
--