[et-mgmt-tools] Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 21:25:13 UTC 2007

Rainer Duffner wrote:

Take a look in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ and see if you can find the
"encoded" file that matches the MAC address you entered. It should be
there. This is
the file that the PXE boot process will request and use for system
configuration. Next, compare that with what you see in the system BIOS
to ensure that it actually matches up.
It sounds like it's not matching up to me.
> I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the
> PXE-network via dhcpd.conf?

The TFTP/PXE stage that identifies your system by MAC address does not
rely on having a static MAC set.
The order is encoded MAC, then encoded IP, then default. Except if you
are using IA64 arches (elilo), when you must have the IP -- it doesn't
do boot-by-MAC.
You can add a -vv in your /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file to see a bit more from
TFTP in syslog.

Hopefully that helps. It really sounds like the MAC addresses aren't
right to me, maybe a typo somewhere?