[et-mgmt-tools] Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 21:50:58 UTC 2007

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 04.12.2007 um 22:25 schrieb Michael DeHaan:
>
>> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>
>> Take a look in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ and see if you can find the
>> "encoded" file that matches the MAC address you entered. It should be
>> there. This is
>> the file that the PXE boot process will request and use for system
>> configuration. Next, compare that with what you see in the system
>> BIOS to ensure that it actually matches up.
>> It sounds like it's not matching up to me.
>>> I assume I don't have to assign a fixed IP to every host on the
>>> PXE-network via dhcpd.conf?
>>
>> The TFTP/PXE stage that identifies your system by MAC address does
>> not rely on having a static MAC set.
>> The order is encoded MAC, then encoded IP, then default. Except if
>> you are using IA64 arches (elilo), when you must have the IP -- it
>> doesn't do boot-by-MAC.
>> You can add a -vv in your /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file to see a bit more
>> from TFTP in syslog.
>>
>> Hopefully that helps. It really sounds like the MAC addresses aren't
>> right to me, maybe a typo somewhere?
>>

> In the above /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg directory, there's only one file -
> "default", which produces said menu.
>
> Is there anything else that has to be run in addition to "cobbler sync"?
>
> I'm feeling I'm missing something, but I don't know what.
>
> Thanks for your help so far.
>

> cheers,
> Rainer

In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first interface,
just the second.

Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?

I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains empty.
This is most definitely
a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.

I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add the
interface to the 'intf0' part
and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If you'd
rather not worry about
tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.

Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.