[et-mgmt-tools] Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Dec 4 22:23:02 UTC 2007

Am 04.12.2007 um 22:50 schrieb Michael DeHaan:

> In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first
> interface, just the second.

Well, I can put in a MAC - but I thought it was not relevant, because
I do PXE-boot on eth1 (the "backend interface").
I didn't know it would generate a pxelinux.cfg file out of that MAC...

> Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?

It was created via the web-interface.
Does the web-interface log the XMLRPC-commands somewhere?

> I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains
> empty. This is most definitely
> a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.
>
> I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add
> the interface to the 'intf0' part
> and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If
> you'd rather not worry about
> tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.
>
> Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.

So, you mean I could make all the settings that I currently have on
eth1 also on eth0 and omit eth1?
And ksdevice: eth1 will do the trick?

...tries it....

Ha, now I have another file in that directory.

I cannot go further, because the hardware is actually an ESX-guest,
and the VI-client only runs on Windoze (which I don't have).

I'll work on this tomorrow (GMT+1).

Again: thanks a lot for your efforts.

cheers,
Rainer