[et-mgmt-tools] Question about cobbler - variable substitution

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 22:53:40 UTC 2007

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 04.12.2007 um 22:50 schrieb Michael DeHaan:
>

>> In your systems file, I do not see a MAC set for the first interface,
>> just the second.
>

> Well, I can put in a MAC - but I thought it was not relevant, because
> I do PXE-boot on eth1 (the "backend interface").
> I didn't know it would generate a pxelinux.cfg file out of that MAC...

The first interface in cobbler's config is not neccessarily 'eth1'. It's
just "the first interface in cobbler".

>> Any chance it was created with --mac1=value versus --mac=value?
>>

> It was created via the web-interface.
> Does the web-interface log the XMLRPC-commands somewhere?

Not in audit log levels of detail ... yet ... though the command you
issued was actually valid.

The problem seems to lie in the sync behavior for not generating the
second file.

>> I can duplicate your problem with the first interface remains empty.
>> This is most definitely
>> a bug, though probably one that few people would encounter.
>>
>> I'll put in a fix. In the meantime, you can edit that file to add the
>> interface to the 'intf0' part
>> and delete the entirity of 'intf1' part, and it will work fine. If
>> you'd rather not worry about
>> tweaking the config files, the Web UI can also do this.
>>
>> Hope that helps... I'll file a defect on this on the Trac page.
>>

> So, you mean I could make all the settings that I currently have on
> eth1 also on eth0 and omit eth1?
> And ksdevice: eth1 will do the trick?

Yes.

> ...tries it....
>
> Ha, now I have another file in that directory.

Good deal!