[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler: right place for custom kickstarts

Eugene Ventimiglia eventi at gridapp.com
Tue Dec 18 21:31:35 UTC 2007

We're currently using a homebrew system to provision vms for developers,
and I'm in the process of switching that to cobbler.

I used to keep a giant monolithic /tftboot/pxelinux.cfg/default with
entries for each os we need to install, ie:

LABEL manager_plain64
        kernel /bootimages/RH-ES-4.0-U4-AMD64/vmlinuz
        append initrd=/bootimages/RH-ES-4.0-U4-AMD64/initrd.img \
ks=http://osserver/profiles/Linux/manager_plain64.cfg

LABEL agent_rh5_vm
        kernel /bootimages/RH-5.0/vmlinuz
        append initrd=/bootimages/RH-5.0/initrd.img
ks=http://osserver/profiles/Linux/build_rh5_agent.cfg

LABEL agent64_rh5_vm
        kernel /bootimages/RH-5.0-64/vmlinuz
        append initrd=/bootimages/RH-5.0-64/initrd.img
ks=http://osserver/profiles/Linux/build_rh5_agent64.cfg

I've played with cobbler for the past day or so, and while I've had
great success setting of new machines, I havn't been able to figure out
where to put these custom kickstart files.

I've read the f manual, and it doesn't say either

--e