[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and kickstart templating...

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 23:41:00 UTC 2007

Friends, Romans, Cobbler users,

Seeing I personally have a few uses for a better templating system than
what I have now, I'm moving Cobbler back to using Cheetah for kickstart
templating in 0.4.0.  Originally the move away from Cheetah was done to
accomdate RHEL3 based cobbler servers, but I can't continue to justify
not having a good templating engine, so I'm cutting those lose.

Kickstart files you have now will be unaffected (and will still work as
is), though now "TEMPLATE::foo" just becomes an alias for the much
simpler $foo.   Variables that aren't found in --ksmeta arguments (say
$thisisnotavariable) just don't get expanded.

I'll probably bundle Cheetah in the cobbler RPM (as I did before) to
make RHEL4 happy (good for Centos for having python-cheetah in the
repository).
This will be in the 0.4.0 release and is already pushed out to the
public hg repo if you want to get a jump start on testing it out.

You can learn to use the full power of Cheetah for your kickstart
templates here:   http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/learn.html