[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager 0.3.0 can't see inactive vms?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 11:58:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:06:02AM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:48 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > Xen 3.0.4 has built in domain management. Unfortunately in doing this
> > upstream Xen moved the config dir from /etc/xen to /var/lib/xen. So to
> > make your inactive domains appear to Xen / virt-manager you need to
> > load them into Xen by using 'xm new <name>' for each config in the
> > /etc/xen directory.
> >
> > After doing this they should appear when doing
> >
> >    xm list
> >    virsh list --all
> >
> > And in virt-manager
> >

> Yes that was it - thanks very much for your help! I searched the FAQ and
> man pages and couldn't find any reference to this, although a google on
> "xm new" did show a similar thread on xen-users.

Yes, the documentation leaves alot of be desired :-(

> Another quick couple of questions: firstly is there a way to bypass
> "Open Connection" dialog on startup so that it assumes that the default
> "Local Xen Host" is selected? I can see the -C option for a URI but
> can't see a way to specify the equivalent of "Local Xen Host" on the
> command line?

  virt-manager  --connect Xen

Will do the trick IIRC.

> Secondly, I'm using a HVM WinXP installation and I appear to be
> suffering badly from the misaligned mouse pointer problem as mentioned
> in the virt-manager FAQ. Are there any updates from the Xen team as to
> when this is likely to be fixed?

The next release of virt-manager will implement a workaround - when moving
the mouse cursor over the virtual console, we will grab the cursor and
lock it to be within the console window - we can then hide the local cursor
so you only see one. The trouble is to release the grab, you need a magic
key sequence, eg hold down 'Ctrl + Alt', but I think this will still be
better than the current situation which just sucks :-)

Further on, we plan to add support for turning on the USB graphics tablet
emulation for Windows based OS which ought to be give saner cursor movement
without need for the mouse grab.

Dan.