[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager 0.3.0 can't see inactive vms?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 09:06:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:48 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Xen 3.0.4 has built in domain management. Unfortunately in doing this
> upstream Xen moved the config dir from /etc/xen to /var/lib/xen. So to
> make your inactive domains appear to Xen / virt-manager you need to
> load them into Xen by using 'xm new <name>' for each config in the
> /etc/xen directory.
>
> After doing this they should appear when doing
>
>    xm list
>    virsh list --all
>
> And in virt-manager
>
> Regards,
> Dan.

Hi Dan,

Yes that was it - thanks very much for your help! I searched the FAQ and
man pages and couldn't find any reference to this, although a google on
"xm new" did show a similar thread on xen-users.

Another quick couple of questions: firstly is there a way to bypass
"Open Connection" dialog on startup so that it assumes that the default
"Local Xen Host" is selected? I can see the -C option for a URI but
can't see a way to specify the equivalent of "Local Xen Host" on the
command line?

Secondly, I'm using a HVM WinXP installation and I appear to be
suffering badly from the misaligned mouse pointer problem as mentioned
in the virt-manager FAQ. Are there any updates from the Xen team as to
when this is likely to be fixed?

Many thanks,

Mark.