[et-mgmt-tools] QEMU & KVM support in virt-install/virt-manager

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 10:39:46 UTC 2007

Hi Dan,
	Cool stuff ...

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 04:21 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> As I said this is the first iteration just to get the UI up and running.
> Once people have played around with it, I fully expect some UI tweaks to
> improve the user experiance.

	Some suggestions:

  - It'd be really nice not to have the connect dialog when you start
    up virt-manager - e.g. think of a first time user who selects
    "Virtual Machine Manager" from the menus and is then asked about
    "Open a connection" ... that's fairly intimidating

  - Perhaps by default connect to Xen if run as root, and connect to
    QEMU when run as non-root

  - I'd be tempted[1] to not expose the notion of different hypervisors
    in the UI beyond that. Maybe have a --qemu command line option or
    something. If we do need to expose this in the UI, I think the most
    natural place is in the "create VM" dialog[2].

  - Failing that, maybe expose the hypervisor type as radio items in
    the File menu, something like

       File   Edit   View   Help
        -> New Machine
           Restore saved machine
           ---
           [X] Manage Xen VMs
           [ ] Manage QEMU VMs
           [ ] Manage Remote VMs ...
           ---
           Close
           Quit

  - Also, suggest "Connect to" rather than "Open a connection", the
    latter concept would probably only make sense to programmers

  - I think I'd only use the "Connect to" concept with remote
    management - connecting to a remote machine is a well understood
    concept, but connecting to a hypervisor is a little weird. Perhaps
    "Manage Xen guests" vs. Manage QEMU guests" as above

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - As discussed here : http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-January/msg00093.html