[et-mgmt-tools] QEMU & KVM support in virt-install/virt-manager

Richard Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 11:04:12 UTC 2007

On 20 Feb 2007, at 10:39, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi Dan,
> 	Cool stuff ...
>
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 04:21 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> As I said this is the first iteration just to get the UI up and
>> running.
>> Once people have played around with it, I fully expect some UI
>> tweaks to
>> improve the user experiance.
>
> 	Some suggestions:
>
>   - It'd be really nice not to have the connect dialog when you start
>     up virt-manager - e.g. think of a first time user who selects
>     "Virtual Machine Manager" from the menus and is then asked about
>     "Open a connection" ... that's fairly intimidating
Agreed.

>   - Perhaps by default connect to Xen if run as root, and connect to
>     QEMU when run as non-root

Or perhaps even connect with name = NULL following our earlier
suggestion to make this "do something sensible" :-?

>   - I think I'd only use the "Connect to" concept with remote
>     management - connecting to a remote machine is a well understood
>     concept, but connecting to a hypervisor is a little weird. Perhaps
>     "Manage Xen guests" vs. Manage QEMU guests" as above

What's the general plan for being able to manage both through the
same virt-manager interface? [1]

Rich.

[1] I'm obviously still not able to run any of this stuff on any
machine I have, so apologies if this is a dumb question.