[et-mgmt-tools] Xen domU + koan

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 22:54:03 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Hmm, I think you may be looking for koan to do something else than what
> it's designed to do, but I'm not sure what.

In which case my lack of understanding has meant that I've expressed
myself poorly.

> Koan replaces the xm create.     It creates the domU image for you, same
> as "xm create" or (preferred) virtguest-install would do, except it does
> so using a reusable profile that can be controlled server side and
> shared with multiple dom0 machines for repeatable results.
> Suppose you have already used cobbler to install a datacenter/lab full
> of dom0 machines (maybe you installed them with cobbler, and if you did,
> you get bonus points).

This is exactly what I want to do.  And I have done the dom0 install
with cobbler, too :)

Reading the source for koan, it looks like my confusion may have been
because I couldn't see where certain things got configured (such as,
say, the location of a file used for the domU virtual disk), when in
fact they're (partially) hardcoded.

One more question (for the moment :)  From the code it appears that koan
only creates paravirtual domU instances.  Is that correct?  If not, how
do I get it to create a fully virtual domU instance?

James