[et-mgmt-tools] Xen domU + koan

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 23:24:23 UTC 2007

> One more question (for the moment :)  From the code it appears that koan
> only creates paravirtual domU instances.  Is that correct?  If not, how
> do I get it to create a fully virtual domU instance?

This is correct.

koan needs to be ported over to use the same virtinst-devel python
library that virtguest-install uses, and when that happens, it will be
capable of doing fullvirt installs (and anything else virtinst can
install, which can include virtualization technology other than Xen -- I
believe QEmu is the one virt-manager is supporting now).

I've wanted to do this earlier -- though I doubt that will happen prior
to mid March.    Should someone be feeling adventurous, patches would
definitely be accepted.   If not, I'll get around to it when I can --
it's next up on the cobbler/koan feature list and should require
modifications to koan only, not cobbler.   I'm imagining koan will take
a "--fullvirt" flag in addition to it's "--virt" one it takes now.

The aformentioned koan change to the Xen images install location to play
nice with SELinux should happen this week though, as I'm also due to
release a few cobbler bugfixes and it makes sense to go ahead and
upgrade koan at that time as well.    The only changes to koan will be
for the path location and for sorting the output from --list-profiles.
Both of these are already in the upstream source on et.redhat.com.