[et-mgmt-tools] [Cobbler] more on kickstart tracking...

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 16:46:01 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've added some new code (and pushed the source, so get it now if you
like) that does some new things with kickstart tracking, which was the
major new feature in 0.3.6.    Basically, I'm now saving all of the
Anaconda installer activity on the remotes, so it can be viewed on the
cobbler server.

There is now a very small logging daemon installed (cobbler_syslogd)
that keeps track of remote syslog information from provisioning
machines.   We log this to /var/log/cobbler/syslog/$ip, and the the file
requests are logged to /var/log/cobbler/kicklog/$ip.   The logging
daemon is set up automatically by the RPM, and you can disable it using
chkconfig if you decide you don't want it for whatever reason.  In order
to to take advantage of the existing feature with your existing setup,
all you have to do is run "cobbler sync" once and everything will be
updated automatically.

Foremost, this gives one a bit better ability to diagnose failing
kickstarts, because the syslog information is available remotely.
Furthermoe, "cobbler status" uses data from both locations now, so it's
a lot more accurate.   One can see the last time any remote activity
occurred, so that it is easier to detect stalled kickstarts.

Anyhow, check it out, and I'll probably release this later this week...