[et-mgmt-tools] [Fwd: Kickstart Tips and Tricks]

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 19:24:37 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:

> On 7/9/07, *Michael DeHaan* <mdehaan at redhat.com
> <mailto:mdehaan at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     drew einhorn wrote:
>     > This paper suggests considering Kickstart Configurator (KC).
>     >

>     Anyhow, this is more on-topic for kickstart-list :)
>

> Oops, sorry about that.
>
> Think my current problem with a tool suggested in this paper needs
> a note in the cobbler docs,  assuming I am not completey
> misunderstanding the problem and barking up the wrong tree.
>
> I this paper I learned about ksvalidator and decided to give it a try.
>
> The only thing it complained about was the $yum_repo_stanza lines.
> I had copied them from the sample configs without really understanding
> them.  ksvalidator suckered me into deleteing them an breaking the
> repo stuff that was working without any real thought on my part.
>
> I believe cobbler expands the $yum_repo_stanza before kickstart
> ever sees it.  And all complaints about it from ksvalidator should
> be ignored.  Are there any similar situations that the naive user
> should be warned about?

ksvalidator (which I've never used, FWIW) should be run on kickstarts --
the files in /etc/cobbler are kickstart templates, which are
"proto-kickstarts", not
yet kickstarts.   The actual kickstarts end up in
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts and /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys ... and
since these are output from cobbler,
don't give those paths as arguments to cobbler's --kickstart.   They are
for viewing and for use by kickstarting systems only, and as you rename
or delete things,
they may go away.

Since ksvalidator appears based on pykickstart, it's likely that
embedded shell scripts and other %pre magic might still confuse it.   I
still have yet to
file some examples of things that break pykickstart as bugs, but will do
so.   The multi-drive setup in cobbler's sample scripts are one such
example.

--Michael